One of our favorite tower defense titles just keeps getting better and better. Now a series, Sentinel gains a sequel as Origin8 has recently released Sentinel 2: Earth Defense into the App Store. We were extremely impressed with the original Sentinel and have now had our expectations exceeded with the continuing story. Here’s why:
The original Sentinel game had us pitting against attacking aliens which have disrupted human colinization of Mars. We’ll, despite our best efforts, the extra terrestrials won and our now threatening Earth’s existance. As commander of the dropship Sentinal, we have the responsibility to protect our home turf. The is how Sentinel 2 begins.
Origin8 relys upon the same classic TD-style game play as the first Sentinel -- and we have no complaints. Enemies attack your structures in waves of varying troops. The usual foes remain (Arachnids, Mutants, Winged Parasites) and new ones have been added including: Two Headed Mutants, Arthropod Parasites, and Warriors. Each soldier type has unique characteristics. A vast array of weapons remain at your disposal. All weapons can be upgraded with funding. Sentinel 2 features a few new ones, most notably, access to the Sentinel ship’s weapons system.
Although satisfied with the original Sentinel’s visual and map layouts, Sentinel 2 threw us for a loop being better in every way. A new soundtrack and OpenFeint online connectivity are huge additions to its predecessor.
The entire host of new elements are listed below:
- Unleash the Sentinel’s incredible ship weapons system -- if you’ve got the power to do so…
- Deploy mobile attack drones to harass the enemy and augment static defenses.
- Construct boosters to buff your offense, and upgrade to top-tier towers for devastating special moves!
- Pit yourself against previously unseen members of the star spawned horde.
- Mission mode provides quick tactical challenges. Beat a scenario to earn achievements!
- Full online high scores, achievements, friends and chat using OpenFeint.
- Exclusive new music written by Specimen A.
The AppSmile Team is impressed by Origin8’s ingenious graphics and controls. We have yet to find a tower defense game that can rival Sentinel 2’s customization options, eerie soundtrack, and online accessibility.
Sentinel and Sentinel 2 are both Must-Buy apps. Now available for $2.99 we give Sentinel 2 a much earned 5-dimple rating.
Sentinel 2: Earth Defense gets our AppSmile 5-Dimple rating: